Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 12

We only thought it rained yesterday. This morning Eli and I woke up to the windows rattling from the thunder. And then it rained. And then it thundered. And then it rained while it thundered. It didn't ever seem to let up. But Anne and I had to get going and go pick up the kids from cousin Rachels house. I am glad we left earlier than later. Olivia and Nathan had the best time with her. This is an experience they will never forget.

When we got home, Anne's friend and longtime neighbor came over with her grandson. He is 5 like Nathan and they got along just fine. By 4pm the kids where starting to go a little stir crazy. The torrential rain never really let up at all today. By almost 5pm we started hearing stories of streets that were flooded and impassable, people getting stuck in high water and the bayou about the crest.

At 6pm we had a nice dinner with everyone including Aunt Inez. We had turkey burgers, oven fries and fruit salad. And Mojitos! After dinner, Ira drove me around the corner to see the bayou. The rain wasn't as heavy and it had receded some. This is what it looked like..




It was a raging river. Very swift and quick moving. When I got here last week, the bayou was a little trickle that wasn't 2 inches deep.
Here are a couple more pictures from around town from the local paper
Geez! If we wanted wet and cloudy weather for the 4th of July, we could have stayed in Humboldt!
The official count is 8" just today in Houston!
After dinner, it was early to bed for Olivia and Nathan after a late night before at their sleepover. Eli stayed up pretty late while Uncle Ira, Aunt Sharon, Aunt Inez and Grandma visited. When it was time for Sharon to go home, once again Eli's bottom lip fell down and begged to go with her. It went something like this:
Sharon: Give me a kiss...I gotta go home and go to bed.
Eli: Nooo...take me to your house. I wanna go with you to your house and sleep.
Sharon: Ok. Give everyone a kiss goodbye.
Eli: Ok.
Eli: Bye Momma
Eli: Aunt Sharon...lets go!
Eli is really loving his Aunt Sharon and Uncle Ira. I am sure that I won't hear from them tonight...he will be cozy in bed with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment