After an early morning (shaking house made me wonder if we needed to throw what we could into the car and get the heck out of Galveston), I got a bit more sleep before I
rewoke up. One quick glance outside and we knew that we wouldn't be having a beach day. We decided to ride the
ferry (Hwy 87 that operates 24 hours per day) between Galveston and Bolivar.

Forgot that I haven't ridden on a ferry boat since I was pregnant with Olivia. Then I wasn't sure if I was seasick or if it was morning sickness. Now I am sure. I don't have sea legs.
We did have a nice view though. Pelicans, a light house, dolphins and huge cargo ships...

Once we landed, we really didn't have any plans except to see what there was to see. We first came to
Fort Travis. We ran in the grass, walked the sea wall and played on the playground.





Next we drove farther North and came to the town of Bolivar. Bolivar was hit hard by hurricane Ike 2 years ago. We saw lots of torn up houses, a little bit of rebuilding and lots of
lonely piers where houses once stood...

The kids were getting a little bit restless at this point...
So we moved on to finding some dinner...

We rode the ferry back into town and stopped at
Katie's Fish Market in Galveston. We bought Texas blue crab, Gulf shrimp and Red Snapper. While we waited for our fish to be cleaned up, we watched the fisherman feed the crowd of Pelicans...



We went back to our wonderful beach house and cooked up our feast. We had a shrimp boil with corn on the cob and potatoes, steamed Texas Blue Crab and Red Snapper Veracruz style. The kids loved the shrimp the best. We taught them how to peal their own and they went nuts. We finished dinner off with fresh pineapple and called it a night!
No comments:
Post a Comment